Monday, February 22, 2010

Installing a Vintage Medicine Cabinet

The bathroom in our house has been remodeled numerous times over the years. Probably the thing I liked least about it when we bought the house was the cheap, tiny medicine cabinet. It was also ridiculously off center with the sink for no apparent reason. I forgot to take a picture of the wall before I took it out, so here it is on the guest bed in all its glory.Luckily, we were able to find a 1920's birch medicine cabinet on craigslist for a great price. It needed a new mirror and the hardware didn't really work anymore, but it was otherwise in amazing shape. Once I got it ready to install, I took out the old one which was held in by about 3 screws. Here is the sad looking hole it left in the wall. Once I cleared out the spacing boards, the opening looked like it does in the picture below. I got really lucky that the studs in this wall were 24" apart. The new medicine cabinet is huge compared to the old one so I was really concerned it would take significant demolition to get it to fit.
Once the space was empty, I just needed to add a couple boards to one side and two shims to the bottom so the cabinet would be level. It turned out better than expected. The only problem is that it is making the other remodeled features of the bathroom look worse. The antique nickel t-bar latch is from Guilded Salvage in Minneapolis. I just have to cut a couple tiles and put them back in place to complete the project (it will probably take me way too long to do this).

2 comments:

Josh said...

That looks fantastic! I have a similar situation with a junky replacement medicine cabinet in my main floor bath that is begging for a vintage replacement.

Sandy said...

The cabinet is awesome!